Some of the most beautiful things on the planet are created by nature. If we are lucky enough to travel and explore, we will witness incredible beauty in the world around us. One natural phenomenon that I love to witness is a waterfall. You know, to be honest, I’m not sure exactly what I find so alluring about waterfalls, but they have always held immense appeal. The sound, the smell, the sight, the way the air feels and the way you can almost taste the waterfall with every breath is an experience that is unforgettable. I have lived all over the United States and any time I move, I look around for these gorgeous falls as we drive. I know many people who have never been to waterfalls and I feel like they are missing out on one of life’s most beautiful things. This world has so much to offer, but many of us find ourselves distracted by electronics, and petty problems that we may be facing. Sometimes, the best way to take a break from the headache that is life, is to take a step back, go for a walk, and appreciate all that nature has to offer.
I have compiled a list of ten waterfalls that you must go to if you have the opportunity. This list is in no particular order, but each of them are incredible.
- Waterfalls in Jog, Kannada, India. These falls are on the Sharavathi River and the water falls around 880 feet as it flows. An incredible sight to behold.
- Kaieteur Falls in Guyana. These falls are twice as high as Victoria Falls and five times the height of Niagara. You will find yourself absolutely dwarfed by the presence of this waterfall.
- Gocta Falls in Peru. One of the world’s tallest waterfalls, it measures over 2500 feet. This misty waterfall is a breath taker and is sure to leave a lasting impression to anyone who witnesses it.
- Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. The sheer width of this fall will absolutely astound you. It is considered the largest falling sheet of water in the world. The spray from these falls alone can been seen up to 25 miles away.
- Niagara Falls, probably one of the most renowned and popular on the list, this beautiful set of falls is more than just a pretty place to see, it is a great source of hydroelectric power.
- Angel Falls in Venezuela is the world’s tallest waterfall, measuring in around 3200 feet, it will astound you.
- Yosemite Falls in California is about 2400 feet tall and is the seventh tallest in the world. It is surrounded by absolutely beautiful scenery and is within Yosemite National Park.
- Sutherland Falls in New Zealand has three levels, or leaps, and the attraction of this fall is to see the water leaping from one ledge to the other.
- Igazu Falls in Argentina is over 2.5 KM wide and there are over 250 falls which dump about 1.3 million liters of water every second.
- Ozoud Falls in Morocco, over 100 meters high, with several levels, and a gorgeous setting.
These waterfalls are all incredible in their own way. Each one is unique and unlike the last. There are some wonders of the earth that if you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all, but I promise you, waterfalls are not like that. If you have a chance to travel, make a list of waterfalls to go to along your way. They are timeless and romantic; you will never regret spending time to see a waterfall.
- License: Creative Commons image source
By Rebecca Shanks
Rebecca Shanks is an opinionated wife and mother. Whether the conversation is about the best brand of laundry detergent, the newest political topic, or Utah Ice Melt Systems, she has a thought or two to share. Rebecca enjoys spending time with her husband and son, writing, horseback riding, reading, and bowling, in that order.